Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Parkhotel


So, this is the Parkhotel in Bremen, Germany. Some already know. It was built step by step in the years 1958, 1963, 1966/68 and 2004.
There is one certain thing I am confused with, and that is why I felt like it needed a discussion.

As you can see, there is no perfect symmetry. So the question is: why? You have to know, that the park around that building IS perfectly symmetrical (you can see it here: http://www.park-hotel-bremen.de), only the building is not.


This photo shows the former "Parkhaus" from 1890. Unfortunetaly it burned down in 1907. Well, as you can see, it was perfectly symmetrical.

Don't get me wrong, I am no opponent of asymmetrical buildings.

For me personally the present Parkhotel, as we know it today, feels like a lame compromise. It is not really asymmetrical and it is not really symmetrical. Are we afraid of perfect symmetry today?

2 comments:

Emmanu Elle said...

First of all, welcome to the club :) I'm glad you joined and I look forward to reading more on architecture and your personal point of view. Our international team is growing :o))

Interesting question, about symmetry. I know I'm afraid of symmetry, in a way. When I look at myself, I find no symmetry in the way I was constructed. If our faces were perfectly symmetrical, or our bodies, they would be perfect. But they aren't - perhaps "evolution" (if it is that) or God has left something unfished, or incomplete. I think the fact that symmetry is missing in this construction, shows a sense of something having remained unfinished. Perhaps this park hotel can have more built on it, if the space around it allows. Maybe this was the idea of the architect?

My question for you on symmetry (because I was always curious) is about the Strassbourg Cathedral. It is a wonder of architecture, because it is so assymetrical, it's a real miracle it was built. I wrote my paper on History of art on that, and it amazes me how they managed to put it up :))

monstergroove said...

first of all I am very glad to be involved here :)

well, the following will be hard to put in words, but, however, I will try.

I think I understand what you pointed out. Being perfect as a lifeform is simply not possible or "wanted". If it was, it would make anyone feel really scared. If Life was perfect, we would not need any evolution. How do you develop yourself when you are already perfect?

On the other hand the human being is built quite symmetrical - but not perfectly. For example, the heart as an organ is asymmetrical, but superficially contemplated we are quite symmetrical.

I don't know anything about the intention of the architects who built the Parkhotel. So you may be right.

The Strassbourg Cathedral is outstanding and maybe the solution.
Thank you for mentioning it! ;)
The Cathedral's Asymmetry is just brilliantly emphasized and that (and many other elements) makes it so wonderful. Imho the Parkhotel kind of lacks this magical charm.